Arrested Arakanese youth brought to Rangoon

(Sittwe, 21 November 2013): An Arakanese detainee named Ko Bo Bo Tun (aged 30) has been brought to Rangoon from the Arakan capital city of Sittwe by the authority on Tuesday.

Arrested by the Arakan police from his residence at Ray Kyaw Thu road of Tayar Theesu ward in Sittwe on the midnight of November 15, 2013, Ko Bo Bo Tun was shifted by Air  Mandalay, said his sister Ma Khine Nyein Wai.

“We have not received any official notice or letter from the authority about my brother’s arrest. We have no idea, why was detained by the police and also transferred to Rangoon,” added Ma Khine Nyein Wai.

She also alleged that the police team, while arrived in their residence for picking up Ko Bo Bo Tun, had not carried any legal warrant against her brother.

“Initially the police said that they came to our residence to check the visitor’s list, but later they handcuffed my brother. We questioned about Ko Bo Bo Tun’s arrest but the police personnel did not reply. They only hinted us that they want to ask some questions to my brother and might bring him to an unknown location,” revealed the lady.

The family members of Ko Bo Bo Tun were not allowed to meet him in the police custody, but they were permitted to interact with him just before his departure to the former capital of Burma on November 19 last.

According to the police sources, the arrest of Ko Bo Bo Tun was related to a suspected attempt of bomb blasts by him in Burma.

Earlier two suspected individuals were arrested on November 13 by the police along with some explosive items from SKY guest house in Hlaing Thaya township of Rangoon.

The arrestees were identified as Ko Nay Min (alias Ko Tin Mg, aged 35) from Mrauk U township in Arakan and Ko Thein Nyunt (alias Japan Gyi, aged 30) from Pagu division. The two detainees came to Rangoon from the Thai-Burma border areas to explode in some important places soon after they had completed their bomb explosion trainings.

Two days after the incident, the police inspector Aye Khin Maung from No 2 police station in Sittwe picked up Ko Bo Bo Tun from his residence.

It is suspected that Ko Bo Bo Tun was somehow connected with the two detainees, who attempted to explode the bombs. Of course,
the authority remained tight-lipped about the incidents.