12 Arakan Army rebels convicted

Kaung Mrat Naing (Maung Taw)

Yangon, 31 March 2016

12 AA members

Twelve rebels belonged to Arakan Army were convicted and sent to the prison by the Kyouk Taw Court of Arakan State in western Burma.

The court pronounced the verdict on 30 March after the accused Arakanese individuals confessed about their active involvement with the insurgent outfit, informed Ko Kyaw Hla Myint, a social activist based in Arakan.

Among those convicted, three rebels [lance corporal Ko Tun Naing, son of U Maung Thoung Mra from Tin Magyi village under, Kyouk Taw township, corporal Ko Shwe Thein alias  Athin Chay, son of U San Shwe Thein from Mroung Chaung village under  Minbya township and corporal Ko Zaw Naing Oo, son of U Tun Win Oo from Lake Htong village under Yathe Taung township] were sentenced to five years of imprisonment under the  article 17 (2).

The rest [Ko Maung Gri, son of U Aung Than from  Thae Tak village under  Punnagyun township, Ko Maung Win, son of U Maung Tha Sein from Dee Par Yun village under  Punnagyun township, Ko Soe Myint Than, son of U Maung Khin Nyunt  from Nyung Pingyi village under Yathe Taung township, Ko Ko Linn, son of U  Maung Shwe Than from Pyaing Chaung village under  Kyouk Taw township, Ko Zaw Naing Than, son of U Maung Tun Hlaing from Phyu Chaung village under  Yathe Taung township, Ko San Shwe Maung, son of U Tun Sein from Pauk Taw Pyin village under Mrouk Oo township, Ko Tun Win Hlaing, son of U Tun Win Oo from Sun Yae village under  Min Bya township, Ko Aung Khin Win, son of U  Sein Hla from Yasoe Chaung village under  Yathe Taung township and Ko Aung Win Htay, son of U Nga Mae Chay from Kyarr Nin Kan village under  Kyouk Taw township] were punished with three years of imprisonment under the article 17 (1).

All these convicted with few other individuals were arrested by the security forces in February 2016 and later handed over to Kyouk Taw police station.

There are still many individuals in jails of Buu Thee Taung, Sittwe, Taung Gup, Kyouk Phru, Ramree and Kyouk Taw, who were detained from different parts of Arakan suspecting their involvement with the banned Arakan Army.