More Arakanese youths enter into Arakan police net

Yangon (Narinjara)

January 19, 2016


More Arakanese youths, suspected to be involved with insurgent activities, were arrested in western province of Burma (Myanmar) in recent time, said eye witnesses.

According to the information received in Yangon, two youths were arrested on 9 January and another two on 16 January from different places of Arakan.

Wanlat Foundation director Khaing Kaung San informed that two Arakanese youths returned back from Yangon and stayed at Naing guest house at Mingan quarter locality of Sittwe city, from where both of them were picked up by the police on 16 January.

He also added that both the detainees were locked and masked during the operation.

“As far as I know they came from Yangon and stayed at Naing guest house. They were taken by the police for interrogation. They hail from Pharkant of Kachin State in eastern Burma where they used to work for gem-stone factory,” he added.

However, he could not guess any visible reason for their arrest.

Narinjara News, though tried but could not confirm that the detainees were associated with Arakan Army, as the responsible police officers at Sittwe police station did not answer any query.

Earlier another two Arakanese youths, who belonged to Arakan Army were arrested on 9 January from  Taungup by the police and later they were handed over to the government armed forces. The Lady News Journal reported the matter quoting local police sources.

According to the Lady News Journal, the local police caught both the Arakanese youths while they were preparing to leave for Rangoon by the Aung Thit Sar express bus in the morning. Two other accompanies however succeeded in escaping the police net. Among the arrestees, one hails from Minbya township and the other from Kyauk Taw, added the journal.

Both the arrested Arakan Army members were produced at the Taungup court on the same day and later they were taken away by an army vehicle at round 11:30 am, confirmed an eye witness.

A local police, who wanted anonymity, revealed that both of the youths were masked and taken by the army personnel.

The government army statements disclosed that altogether 15 bloody confrontations were reported within 28 December 2015 to 4 January 2016, where the Arakan Army  rebels had challenged the armed forces in various localities belonged to Kyauk Taw and Mrouk Oo townships.